Are lilies poisonous to cats?

lily-3358705_1920

Sadly, as beautiful and often fragrant as they are, lilies are a big no no when it comes to cats.

One eaten leaf or pollen ingested from simply brushing past a flower can be serious with potentially lethal implications for your cat.

Any part, petals, stamens, leaves, or water in the vase, can be dangerous.

Many plants of the Lilium and Hemerocallis species are very poisonous.

Commonly known as the Tiger, Day, Asiatic, Easter, or Japanese Show lily, these plants can result in severe acute kidney failure.

If you are a cat owner, please bear this in mind when planning your garden, as although there’ll be some people saying they’ve grown lilies and owned a cat with no problems, equally there are people who have lost their cat due to ingesting lily pollen, plant parts or even vase water.

Also, spread the word so that anyone buying you flowers can avoid adding lilies into the bouquet.

Lilies do not cause kidney failure in dogs however.

Possible symptoms of lily poisoning in cats

You may see symptoms in your cat within minutes or within hours:

  • vomiting
  • lethergy
  • loss of appitite (due to feeling nauseous )
  • dehydration

What should do if you think your cat may have eaten poisonous plants?

If you notice these behaviours and symptoms or suspect your cat has been poisoned, take them to your vets as soon as possible.