Problems to Look Out for on Autumn Dog Walks

Things to Look out for on Autumn Dog Walks

Things to Look out for on Autumn Dog Walks

We recently looked at the potentially very serious Seasonal Canine Illness, which can be picked up on autumn walks in wooded areas. Unfortunately, this is not the only potential danger to keep an eye out for when you are walking your dog during the next few months.

Leaf Piles

You might not think that leaves would pose much danger to your dog but it is best not to encourage your pet to root around in them. This is because leaf piles can promote bacteria and mold, particularly when they get wet. Ingesting these could make your pet ill. Typical symptoms could include diarrhoea, vomiting and lack of appetite.


Some wild mushrooms can be poisonous. This is not the case for every wild mushroom that your dog might encounter during walks but as it is hard to know what is safe and what is dangerous, it is best to be cautious.

The effects of eating poisonous wild mushrooms can include sickness and gastrointestinal issues to extensive damage to the central nervous system, liver and kidneys (depending on the type of mushroom that is consumed and its level of toxicity). Mushroom poisoning symptoms include abdominal pain, sickness, diarrhoea, lethargy, weakness, jaundice. seizures, coma, excessive drooling and difficulty walking and coordinating movements.

It is recommended that you seek advice from a vet if your dog eats a potentially poisonous mushroom, even if symptoms do not develop right away. Damage will not necessarily be obvious right away and your pet’s health could quickly deteriorate by the time symptoms present themselves.

Compost Rodenticides

Your dog may also come into contact with outdoor toxins during walks. Rodenticide poisons that are designed to kill rodents can also prove fatal for your dog if they are ingested. Seek medical help straight away if you know that your dog has ingested rodenticide or even if you just suspect that this is the case. The poison will need to be expelled from your dog’s body as quickly as possible for the best chance of recovery.


Many people change their car’s engine coolant during the autumn months. If you’re one of them, be aware of the dangers for your pet.  Spills should be mopped up as quickly as possible so that pets have minimal opportunity of ingesting antifreeze. Contact your vet immediately if your pet may have ingested antifreeze.

[Photo CreditLa Marga]